Details Of: ||ROAN Scholarship ETSU due |
|Date: ||9/18/2017 (12:00 PM)|
|Calendar: ||Scholarships (General)|
|Summary: ||Full Ride and Leadership Program|
|Description: ||East Tennessee State University|
Roan’s Scholarship 2017-2018
The Roan’s Scholarship at ETSU is the most distinguished scholarship offered to students.
The scholarship is designed to encourage and assist the Scholars in becoming outstanding community leaders, using a variety of well-designed activities and experiences. The recipients receive full tuition, payment for room and board, allowance for books and supplies, many specialty workshops, opportunity for internships and study abroad. This scholarship is very competitive as only 7 or so students will be named Roan Scholars.
The Roan’s Scholars Program looks to identify students with outstanding leadership abilities. They are looking for individuals who are viewed as leaders within their school and their community and are well respected by students, faculty and others.
Roan’s Scholars will be selected on the following criteria and are listed in this order:
· Intellectual Curiousity
· Physical Vigor
ROAN’s Scholarship at ETSU
The Roan Scholar Leadership Program pays for full tuition, room & board, laptop and printer, and many leadership development experiences.
Criteria: To be selected as a Roan Scholar, you must demonstrate:
· Character. Compassion, Determination, Generosity, Humility, Integrity, Maturity, Moral Courage, Responsibility – characteristics that form the foundation of the Roan culture.
· Intellectual Curiosity. Leaders are learners and, while Roan Scholars tend to excel in the classroom, we're primarily seeking those students for whom learning is an essential part of their being, and knowledge more than grades or test scores; students committed to self-development and interested in expanding their world.
· Physical Vigor.** A demonstrated commitment to an active lifestyle; a dedication to fitness and regular physical activity. Tenacity matters as much as (or more than) ability in this area; individual endeavors are considered just as much as team sports.
· Leadership. It's about more than titles or the number of activities; it's about excellence and impact. Roan Scholars set the example, daily. They initiate. They inspire. They influence and encourage. Above all, they impact, making a positive difference for those around them.
* Roan Scholars are chosen solely on merit; financial need is not a consideration in the selection process.
** Due consideration is given to nominees with physical limitations.
Who's eligible? High school seniors who are competitive applicants to East Tennessee State University (ETSU), on track to graduate in the spring, and attending selected high schools, including Ashe County High School are eligible to be nominated High schools with 200 or more seniors may nominate 2 students; other high schools may nominate 1 student.
What to do to apply:
Initial application due to Ms. Bednosky by September 18, 2017.
Please complete the following and submit in one packet to Ms. Bednosky by SMART lunch, 9/18.
· Essay: Why have you chosen to attend ETSU? How have you challenged yourself academically and physically throughout high school?
· Essay: How have you demonstrated leadership within your school and community and why do you think you’ll be a great candidate for the Roan nomination?
· Transcript (Request from Mrs. Sloan and tell her what it’s for
· ACT/SAT test scores
Please keep both essays combined to no more than 2 typed pages.
Please see Ms. B with questions and read the following and visit the website to learn more about the ROAN Leadership program. http://roanscholars.org/
Please note, this is a 1st step, a screening process from which our scholarship committee will select 2 school nominees. Be sure to visit the website above. The application is quite intense, however the rewards are almost wonderfully undescribable.
All students, last names A-Z should see Ms. Bednosky for assistance/questions with this particular scholarship.